Friday, January 12, 2007

A New Year

...and it's finally winter. Canadians have a propensity to comment on the weather, anyway, but this year the winter has been even more a conversation piece, a national news item, and the subject of lots of hot air about global warming. It has been truly sad to see the news coverage of great large trees falling in Vancouver's Stanley Park, and sadder still to hear all the debate about whether they should be allowed to go back into the forest or whether they should be cut up for the money each board foot provides. Global warming is real, and still the debate. If you want to hear some lovely music on the subject, I refer you to Nancy Ward, whose song, "To The Planters of Trees", has to be as sweet as you can hear, and to one of my favourite Vancouver Island groups, Wyrd Sisters, who taught me the word which I used for my blog. Their music, both Ward and Wyrd, is wonderful.

3 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger The Lettershaper said...

I have so enjoyed my trip through this site; as a poet and an avid reader, I found it both enlightening and enriching...Thank You!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Brent A said...

For anyone who struggles to make this world a better place, Nancy Ward's "To the Planters of Trees" is a deeply moving song. In the process of moving, I lost track of some of my cassette tapes. Would anyone be willing to post the lyrics to this song?

Thanks!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Brent A said...

I found my cassette of the album,
“To the Planters of Trees”!

FYI, the website www.liveunity.com sells this Nancy Ward cassette, as well as a compilation CD that includes her song: "Encore- Favourite Music of Jack Lenz".

I also found a YouTube video featuring the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-XLhutbs50

From the cassette liner notes:

Music and performance by Nancy Ward
Words attributed to Mohammed

“It is said that the prophet Mohammed
exhorted every man, woman and child to
plant at least 1000 trees in their
lifetime, and that for this act they
would be blessed.”

Lyrics:

In the last days,
in the days of judgment,
the Lord shall say
to the planters of trees,
"Come up, come up, come up higher,
your names shall be exalted.”

CHORUS:
For while others were sleeping,
you were laboring planting trees.
And though the wine of the fruit
is forbidden the faithful,
the wine of the love of God
shall flow for you,
the wine of the love of God
shall flow for you.

(Vocalized bridge)

CHORUS

(Instrumental bridge)

CHORUS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home